try one’s best (to do sth)尽力做某事,没毛病,但是这是小学生的水平,平淡无奇。今天学习一个高级表达:
bend/lean over backwards (to do sth)
尽力;竭力;尽力做某事
to make a great effort, especially in order to be helpful or fair
I've bent over backwards to help him.
我已尽最大努力帮助他。
People are bending over backwards to please customers.
人们正使出浑身解数取悦顾客。
He leaned over backwards to please his immediate superior.
他拼命讨好他的顶头上司。
Jackson is leaning over backwards to please his wealthy uncle.
杰克逊想尽种种办法去讨好他那个有钱的叔叔
Sue will bend over backwards to help her friends.
苏会尽全力帮助朋友。
She bent over backwards to make sure that he was always pleased.
她极力使他经常感到高兴。
The local people bent over backwards to impress their unexpected guests.
当地老百姓对这些不速之客盛情款待,表现得格外热情。
We bent over backwards to help them.
我们尽了最大努力帮助他们。
类似的“尽最大努力做某事”的经典表达表达:
She tried her best to solve the problem.
她尽了最大的努力解决这个问题。
He would have done his utmost to help her, of that she was certain.
他肯定会尽最大努力帮她,这一点她非常肯定。
We will do what we can to help.
我们会尽力帮助。
As a salesman, your cardinal rule is to do everything you can to satisfy a customer.
作为推销员,你的首要任务是竭尽全力让顾客满意。
We will do everything in our power to satisfy our customers.
我们将尽一切努力使顾客满意。
We will do everything we can to bring parliament round to our point of view.
我们将尽己所能说服议会支持我们的观点。
We do everything we can to make your trip pleasurable.
我们会尽力使你的旅途愉快。
I want you to do everything you can to find out who's responsible.
我希望你能尽一切可能找出责任人。
We will do everything to preserve peace.
我们会尽全力维持和平。
We must do everything in our power to ensure the success of the conference.
我们必须尽一切能力保证会议圆满成功。
Washington was last night doing its best to mend fences with the Europeans, saying it understood their concerns.
昨晚,华盛顿尽最大努力与欧洲各国修好,称理解其担忧。
Win or lose, we'll know we've done our best.
无论胜负,我们都知道自己已尽了最大努力。
Whether or not we're successful, we can be sure that we did our best.
不管成功与否,我们确已尽了最大努力。
The management is doing its best to improve the situation.
管理部门正在竭尽全力改善局面。
It was as much as I could do this thing.
我已尽最大努力做这件事。
She shoved as hard as she could.
她竭尽全力猛地一推。
Jack worked as hard as he could to build his business, but he hadn't figured on a few obstacles.
杰克竭尽全力发展自己的公司,但有几个障碍是他始料不及的。
He fought tooth and nail to keep his job.
他竭尽全力保住自己的工作。
They will go all out to get exactly what they want.
他们将尽最大努力实现自己的愿望。
We're going all out to win.
我们竭尽全力争取胜利。
Just give it your best shot and you'll be fine.
只要尽自己最大努力,你就会有好的结果。
He would have done his utmost to help her, of that she was certain.
他肯定会尽最大努力帮她,这一点她非常肯定。
The doctors did all that was humanly possible.
医生们尽了人力所及的最大努力。
I made every effort to be co-operative.
我尽了最大努力配合。
He made every endeavour to pay off the debt.
他尽一切努力还清债务。
Please make every endeavour to arrive on time.
请尽全力按时到达。
I will endeavour to do my best for my country.
我将竭尽全力报效祖国。
I will endeavour to arrange it.
我会尽力安排。
The team performed to the limit of its capabilities.
这个队已竭尽全力。
She goes to extraordinary lengths to keep her private life private.
她竭尽全力让自己的私生活不受干扰。
For him it's the Olympics or bust.
他将竭尽全力参加奥运会。
The firemen tried hard to extinguish the fire.
消防队员竭尽全力扑灭大火。
I am working flat out to get this job finished by next week.
我正在竭尽全力地工作,想在下周完成这项任务。
We shall gladly lend every effort in our power toward its realization.
我们将乐意为它的实现而竭尽全力。
He was falling over himself to be nice to me.
他尽力对我友好。
The party is struggling to win back voters who have been alienated by recent scandals.
这个政党正尽力把最近因丑闻而疏远的选民争取回来。
The company is struggling to find buyers for its new product.
该公司正竭力为其新产品寻找买主。
Telcos were struggling to make money from broadband services.
各家电信公司那时正努力通过宽带业务赢利。
The company has been struggling to hang onto its sales force.
公司一直竭力想留住自己的销售团队。
Virginia was still struggling to be a conscientious and dedicated mother.
弗吉尼娅还在尽力成为一位勤勤恳恳、全心奉献的母亲。